Welcome to TechCrunch Week in Review (WiR)
Life in the tech world moves at a rapid pace, and keeping up can be a challenge. Fortunately, TechCrunch is here to ensure you’re up to speed. In this edition of WiR, we dive into significant tech industry events from the past week.
1. Data Breach: Millions of 23andMe Records Leaked
A hacker who previously targeted 23andMe has now released millions of new customer records on the dark web. The genetic testing company is assessing the legitimacy of this new data leak.
2. Meta’s Futuristic Smart Glasses
TechCrunch’s Brian reviews Meta’s new Ray-Ban sunglasses, equipped with Facebook and Instagram livestreaming capabilities, providing a glimpse into the future of head-worn computing.
3. X’s Content Crackdown
X, previously Twitter, introduced paid subscription verification, which did not protect sex workers from the platform’s crackdown on explicit content. This has posed challenges for sex workers as X’s traffic reportedly declines.
4. Andreessen’s Ambitious Manifesto
Venture capitalist Marc Andreessen published a 5,000-word manifesto advocating “techno-optimism.” In it, he discusses a range of topics, prompting a response from TechCrunch.
5. IRS to Launch Free Tax Filing Service
The IRS plans to test a free tax filing service in 2024 for select taxpayers in up to 13 states. This move challenges paid tax preparation services like TurboTax and H&R Block.
6. Web Summit Faces Backlash
Web Summit, a tech conference brand, is facing backlash due to comments made by its founder, Paddy Cosgrave, related to the ongoing conflict in Israel and Gaza. This controversy has triggered outrage from the tech community in Israel.
7. FTX Executives’ Expenditures
Former senior FTX executive Nishad Singh revealed that FTX executives, including Sam Bankman-Fried, spent $8 billion of customer funds on various investments and expenses, providing insights into how the funds were used.
8. Hotstar Sets Streaming Record
Disney’s Hotstar achieved a new streaming record during a cricket match between India and Pakistan, drawing 35 million concurrent viewers, surpassing previous records.
TechCrunch Podcasts for Your Commute
Enjoy your morning commute with our selection of TechCrunch podcasts. Listen to industry experts and insiders discuss the latest in tech and venture capital.
TechCrunch+ Exclusive Highlights:
- Raising VC Capital in 2023: Early-stage founders share their optimism about raising VC capital based on insights from a January Ventures survey of pre-seed and seed-stage founders.
- Fair Valuation for Loom: Examining Atlassian’s acquisition of video messaging app Loom for $975 million and why comparing 2021 valuations to the current reality may not be fair.
- Plaid’s Path to IPO: An exploration of Plaid’s journey toward going public, indicated by the recent hiring of a CFO.
Stay informed and subscribe to TechCrunch Week in Review (WiR) to receive weekly updates in your inbox every Saturday.